Kindergarten at Notre Dame School is an exciting time of exploration for your child. As motor coordination increases, so too will a sense of independence, self-reliance, and self-confidence.
K Highlights include:
- Faith: Your child will learn that God is the creator of all things and will celebrate and enjoy God’s creation through liturgy and prayer.
- Language Arts: Your child will progress from recognition of all upper and lowercase letters to identifying sounds of all consonants and vowels, culminating in the reading and writing of simple sentences and stories.
- Math: Your child will learn to sort and classify objects; recognize, write, and compare numbers; count orally by ones, five and tens to 100; add and subtract using manipulatives; recognize patterns and shapes, recognize and compare measurable attributes of objects; and recite the days of the week and months of the year.
- Science: Your child will use all senses to question, observe and experiment with plants and animals, weather and temperature, and pushes and pulling forces.
- Social Studies: Your child will learn about religious and civic holidays throughout the year, as well as major historical figures
- Mass Partner: Every Kindergartner is assigned an 8th grade Mass Partner who will act as a guide and mentor through their first year at Notre Dame.
- Field Trips: Students participate in CSU, Chico Physical Education Programs and take at least two other field trips each year, including a trip to a local pumpkin patch.