From the building of a small redwood church in Chico in 1870, St. John the Baptist Parish had dreams of founding a Catholic school on the same site. Those dreams became a reality in September of 1928, when Notre Dame School opened its doors to 130 eager students.
From our humble beginnings, we have grown to over 200 students in grades TK through 8th. Our teaching staff has grown and changed, too. Taught by the Sisters of Notre Dame from its inception, Notre Dame is now served by a fully-credentialed lay staff, including 14 teachers and 3 teacher aides.
We are indebted to the Sisters, parishioners, and families who had the foresight and ambition 90 years ago to begin to build a dream. Academic excellence, leavened by a commitment to the success of the individual child and integrated with the message of the Gospel, is the heritage of Notre Dame School. We commit today to carry this dream into the immediate and distant future of our community.